2023 MAGDA Annual Membership Meeting & Booking Conference
October 4 – 6
Chico Hot Springs, Pray, Montana
2023 Exhibition Proposals – Available July 1!
2023 Conference Agenda
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4
12:00 p.m. CHECK-IN & LUNCH
1:00 p.m. WELCOME: Alissa Kost, Executive Director, MAGDA
1:15 p.m. INSTITUTIONAL INTRODUCTIONS
1:30 – 2:30 p.m. ROUND TABLE DISCUSSIONS – Session 1
1. ART HANDLING AND TRANSIT: Resources and tips for crating, storage, and handling. Geoff Stocking, Chief Collections and Exhibitions Officer, C.M. Russell Museum, Great Falls
2. COLLECTIONS CARE: Resources, best practices, and examples – TBD
3. CONNECTING WITH EMERGING ARTISTS: Best practices for engagement and encouragement for the next generations on visual artists – Jennifer Woodcock Medicine Horse, Ph.D., Adjunct faculty in the Department of Native American Studies and Art History, Program Director, IndigenEyes: Contemporary Native American Art of the Rocky Mountains & Plains.
2:40 – 3:40 p.m. ROUND TABLE DISCUSSIONS – Session 2
3:45 p.m. BREAK
4:00 p.m. PROPOSED EXHIBITIONS FOR TOUR
5:30 p.m. NO-HOST CASH BAR – Musical stylings with Stephen Glueckert
6:30 p.m. DINNER
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 5
8:00 a.m. BREAKFAST
9:00 a.m. MAGDA PROTOCOL: Alissa Kost, Executive Director, MAGDA. Topic: New medias, traveling exhibition file share & updated documents (MANDATORY ATTENDANCE FOR ALL MAGDA MEMBERS)
9:30 a.m. STATE & FEDERAL FUNDING UPDATE: Montana Arts Council, Helena
10:00 a.m. BREAK
10:30 a.m. OBSCENITY PANEL DISCUSSION: Understanding Montana’s Obscenity Laws, Trends, Impact, and Future – Moderator: Liz Moore, Executive Director, Montana Nonprofit Association, Helena. Panelists: Sam Forstag, Lobbyist, Central House Strategies, Patrick Hoffman, Art Educator & Gallery Manager, Bob & Gennie DeWeese Gallery at Bozeman High School, Susie McIntyre, Library Director, Great Falls Public Library.
12:00 p.m. LUNCH
1:00 p.m. ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP & BUSINESS MEETING: Kim Kapalka, Executive Director, Carbon County Arts Guild & Depot Gallery, Board President, MAGDA, Red Lodge
1:30 p.m. THE FULL PICTURE: How to best represent overlooked artists through Montana History. Kirby Lambert.
2:30 p.m. BREAK
2:45 p.m. THE ETHICS OF APPRAISALS: a guide to what you should know and look for when valuing your collections. Timothy Gordon, Founder and Appraiser of Timothy Gordon Appraisals and Expert Appraiser on PBS’ Antiques Roadshow.
3:45 p.m. BREAK, NO-HOST CASH BAR
4:00 p.m. HANDS-ON ARTISTS WORKSHOP
6:00 p.m. DINNER
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14
8:00 a.m. BREAKFAST
9:00 a.m. REVIEW OF PROPOSED EXHIBITIONS
9:30 a.m. BOOKING SESSION (Must Be Present to Book Exhibits)
11:30 a.m. ADJOURN
The Annual Conference combines exhibition booking opportunities with professional development and training for personnel and volunteers of the state’s art centers.
Professional development workshops cover topics of relevance to member organizations, based on their indicated needs. A sampling of seminars conducted by leading professionals include:
- Educational programming
- Board / staff relationships
- Exhibition preparation
- Marketing / communications
- Budgeting / cash flow analysis
- Volunteer management
- Gallery / museum practices and ethics
- Hands-on art workshops